Powder Coat Paint Finish
All DekSmart Railings powder coat finishes comply to:
- NAAMM’s “Metal Finishes Manual for Architectural and Metal Products” for recommendations for applying and designating finishes.
- ASTMB117-97 (3000 hr salt spray adhesion.
- A.A.M.A.4 2604 colour uniformity, film adhesion, impact and chemical resistance criteria
Treatment of Raw Aluminum
All DekSmart Railings exposed aluminum components are treated
before powder coating through a full multi-stage pretreatment process.
- First stage is treat the components with a heated alkaline based solution to remove oils and contaminates.
- Second stage – freshwater rinse
- Third stage – reverse osmosis rinse.
- Fourth stage – E-CLPS sealer coat used to provide a superior bond for the powder coat finish to the aluminum.
- Fifth stage – aluminum components are oven dried leaving a nearly colourless coating
Applying the Powder Paint
All Deksmart Railing components receive a baked-on powder coated finish in either a smooth or textured finish.
- Powder coat finish is electrostatically applied and are thermosetically cured.
- 8 standard colours, custom colours available and are quoted separately.
- All powder coat paint is Polyester T.G.I.C. Free .
- Powder coat finish is minimum 3 mil thickness for smooth gloss finish and 4 mil thickness for textured finish.
Powder-coated components are subjected to a comprehensive quality control program.
- A visual check for powder paint consistency after the electrostatic application is performed under high-intensity lighting pre-thermoset curing
- After thermoset curing, a visual check for powder paint consistency is performed.
- An electronic gauge using the eddy current principle is used to measure paint thickness. (ASTM Practice D7091 for non-destructive measurements)
- A boil test and cross-hatch test are performed on each paint batch to confirm paint adhesion as per suppliers’ recommendations