Powder Coated Railings Paint Finish
Elevate your outdoor spaces with DekSmart Railings’ exceptional powder coated aluminum railing system. Our powder coated railings are engineered for low maintenance and high performance, making them the perfect choice for your deck railing needs – even in harsh weather conditions. Unlike liquid paint finishes, powder coated railings emit zero (or near zero) volatile organic compounds, making them an environmentally-friendly choice.
All DekSmart Railings powder coat finishes comply to:
- NAAMM’s “Metal Finishes Manual for Architectural and Metal Products” for recommendations for applying and designating finishes
- ASTMB117-97 (3000 hr salt spray adhesion)
- A.A.M.A.4 2604 colour uniformity, film adhesion, impact and chemical resistance criteria
Treatment of Raw Aluminum
All DekSmart Railings exposed aluminum components are treated before powder coating through a full multi-stage pretreatment process.
- First stage – treating the components with a heated alkaline based solution to remove oils and contaminates
- Second stage – freshwater rinse
- Third stage – reverse osmosis rinse
- Fourth stage – E-CLPS sealer coat used to provide a superior bond for the powder coat finish to the aluminum
- Fifth stage – aluminum components are oven dried leaving a nearly colourless coating
Applying the Powder Paint
All Deksmart Railing components receive a baked-on powder coated finish in either a smooth or textured finish.
- Powder coat finish is electrostatically applied and are thermosetically cured.
- 8 standard colours, custom colours available and are quoted separately.
- All powder coat paint is Polyester T.G.I.C. Free .
- Powder coat finish is minimum 3 mil thickness for smooth gloss finish and 4 mil thickness for textured finish.
Powder-coated components are subjected to a comprehensive quality control program.
- A visual check for powder paint consistency after the electrostatic application is performed under high-intensity lighting pre-thermoset curing
- After thermoset curing, a visual check for powder paint consistency is performed.
- An electronic gauge using the eddy current principle is used to measure paint thickness. (ASTM Practice D7091 for non-destructive measurements)
- A boil test and cross-hatch test are performed on each paint batch to confirm paint adhesion as per suppliers’ recommendations